India’s Banking systems are transforming, peoples are also now moving from traditional banking to a more technology-driven banking system. The tech-savvy younger generation is reluctant to stand in the queue at any crowded Indian bank branches to complete any simple task. The Indian Govt. is also promoting several measures and incentives for complete digitalization of the Banking system. For example, the introduction of UPI payment system and IMPS for real-time money transfer, Online update of address, ATM PIN generation, Cheque book or ATM Card request, etc. And all you can do on the go, ie from your smartphone.
India’s smartphone base is growing at a robust pace with more than 1200 million active user base. Therefore, accomplishing banking tasks on mobile is a convenient option for everyone. Not only that Mobile Banking App also helps to reduce the work burden on Banks. The Indian private banking sector is the pioneer in this area. They have already introduced their mobile banking technology decades back and continuously improving these technologies integrating with Artificial Intelligence. The PSU banks are also lately following the Private Bank’s path and coming up with some good app for mobile banking in India.
Here, in this article, we will discuss some best mobile banking apps in India and how to choose the best mobile banking platform for secure banking from home without visiting Branches.
Jump to the Section, you are looking for.
Essential Features of a Good Mobile Banking App
- Security: Security is the first factor to be considered before installing the mobile banking App. There should be Secured and two-factored signup. Must be smartphone specific app installation. Bio-metric authentication if possible.
- Payment System: The best mobile banking app must integrate all payment systems available today. For example, the app must include BHIM-UPI Payment system, IMPS, NEFT or RTGS, NFC Technology (Near Field Communication) or QR code payment, etc. These are essential features for today’s banking system.
- Beneficiary Management: The app must allow adding beneficiary for UPI payment, IMPS or NEFT payments so that you don’t have to create the same payee for repeated transactions.
- Credit Card Management: Must have a separate Credit Card section for smoothly managing the credit card related transactions.
- ATM or Branch locator: ATM and Branch locator is one of the must-have essential features of a good mobile banking app.
- Notification: All the banking transactions, updates or banking offers must be notified by SMS, email or your mobile’s notification center.
- Bill Payment Features: The banking app should integrate Bill register and payment features in the app. For example, the best mobile banking app should allow you to register bills like LIC premium, Mutual Fund online SIP UIN (unique identification number), Visa Credit Card Bill, etc for hassle-free banking from home.
- AI-based Chatbot: Should have an in-app Chatbot option for user-specific problem-solving.
- All Other Traditional Banking Facilities: A good mobile banking app must integrate all the normal banking facilities like ATM card issue, block, PIN generation, balance inquiry, ongoing offers section, Cheque book requests, tracking your deliverables, linking multiple accounts, etc.
- Non-Traditional Facilities: Budget tracking service, PPF or NPS account opening, IRCTC rail ticketing, Hotels or Flight Booking facility, Movie ticket purchase from the App, etc.
Mobile Banking Safety Tips and Guide
- Always use two-factor authentication, if you are using iPhone, then you must use biometric authentication or 6 digit passcode which is hard to guess. For Android phone, use 4 digit passcode or any difficult pattern.
- Most of the Indian mobile banking app in India use 4 or 6 digit passcode for login. Don’t use any easy to guess passcode combinations like 1111 or 1234 etc.
- Don’t download any app from unknown sources other than the App Store or Play Store.
- Don’t install any app which seems to steal your personal data or track your phone data.
- Don’t respond to any malicious SMS which has some link with a URL shortener. eg if you get an SMS for any Offers from an unknown sender and ask you to click on a link like bit.ly/xyz123, never respond to these kinds of messages, if you do so you may lose all your personal data from your phone. The Android OS is more vulnerable by these kinds of Phishing attempts than iOS. Here’s an example of this kind of message
- Try to avoid installing free remote desktop apps like AnyDesk or any other remotely accessing tools on your phone. Installing these kind apps may increase the attack of ransomware by many folds and transmit valuable data from your phone.
- Clear browsing data or cache files & cookies regularly from Chrome or Safari browser.
- Try not to save banking information like Debit/Credit Card Number, CVV, Password, Netbanking Password or Mobile Banking Passcode in your phone itself.
- Update your Mobile Banking App regularly. Not only the mobile banking app, but you must also regularly update all your apps and software from your phone settings.
- Avoid using free public WI-FI networks while accessing the mobile banking App in India.
- Don’t save mobile banking App passcode or Netbanking passwords in Password Manager Apps.
- Don’t use rooted Android devices.
- Regularly track your credit card or bank account transaction.
Now let’s get back to the main topic, which is the best Mobile Banking App in India
- How to create free Virtual Debit Card India for International Payment
- Best Pay Later App in India for an instant loan without Credit Card
- How to unblock blocked sites in India
5 Best Mobile Banking App in India
We generally don’t open Bank Account only on the basis of the Mobile Banking App. In fact, we never consider the usability of Mobile Banking or NetBanking option at the time of opening of Bank Account. But Banking is getting more digitalized nowadays. You can open a Digital Bank account at home with an internationally enabled Virtual Debit Card and complete all the banking transactions from home or smartphone. Therefore need for a good Mobile Banking App is must while considering opening any Bank Account in India.
The future of Banking will be based on technology, more specifically on mobile technology. Therefore, the banks which can provide better mobile banking technology will lead the market.
I have written a detailed article on How to pay credit card bills online in India using mobile banking technology with instant credit confirmation. You can read the article here.
- Best Free Virtual Debit Card in India and Abroad
- How to pay the credit card bill using mobile banking technology
Here is the list of Best Mobile Banking App in India according to its Rank. We consider, in-app features, usability, Ease of Use, availability of branches and innovativeness while ranking these Apps.
- Kotak- 811 & Mobile Banking
- iMobile from ICICI Bank
- SBI Anywhere Personal – Yono Lite
- Axis Mobile
- M- Connect Plus from Bank of Baroda
|Name of Banking App||Overall Ratings||Touch ID Enabled||in-App Digital Account Opening||Action|
|iMobile by ICICI Bank||4.8||Yes||No||Download|
|Yono Lite by SBI||4.6||No||No||Download|
1. Kotak- 811 & Mobile Banking
Kotak -811 is the number one in this list and there are so many reasons for that. You can open a Zero Balance Saving Account with Internationally enabled Virtual Debit Card. The mobile banking app has excellent and super intuitive UI with several in-app features. You never have to go branches for any account-related work. The main drawback of Kotak Bank is the less branch network.
Kotak Bank has also recently introduced the first Whatsapp Banking in India.
Kotak 811 is also the best Digital Bank Account in India. For more details on the best Digital Bank Accounts in India, you can read my earlier article. As per RBI directives after the Supreme Court verdict on Aadhaar, you have to complete biometric eKYC verification or have to submit Officially Valid ID proof within 12 months of the opening of your Kotak 811 Digital account.
Kotak 811 is only banking App in India has more than 4.5 ratings both in Android and iOS version of the App.
- Visa Virtual Debit card which can be used for any Indian or Overseas eCommerce Platform.
- Book Ola cab using Kotak Bank mobile banking app.
- Register Bill Payment services like Mutual Fund Unique Identification Number registration, Visa Credit Card Bill Payment, LIC premium payment registration etc.
- You can use Touch ID or Face ID to login Kotak Mobile Banking App.
- Inter and Intra Bank Money transfer with BHIM-UPI, IMPS or NEFT services. QR Code payment.
- Shop at Flipkart, IRCTC rail booking, BUS or Movie ticket purchase from Mobile Banking App.
- Investment in Mutual Fund, ASBA Account, etc and purchase of insurance products.
- Excellent Customer Care Team.
- All other traditional banking work.
All in all, you can avail of all banking features from a single platform. Kotak-811 is the Best Mobile Banking App in India.
2. iMobile from ICICI Bank
ICICI Bank is so far the most innovative Bank in the Indian Banking industry and pioneer of many new concepts in the Banking sector. India’s first mobile banking app was launched by ICICI Bank in the year 2008. They have also first introduced contactless debit card in India.
The mobile banking app of ICICI Bank is one of the best Mobile Banking App in India and comes close second in this list after Kotak-811 Mobile Banking App. ICICI Bank has integrated all the Banking services which we generally find in its NetBanking service. Recently they have also integrated Pay Later option for its selected iMobile users.
- Most secured mobile Banking App in India.
- Buy Now Pay Later Service first integrated by ICICI Bank amongst the Banking Industry in India.
- Temporarily block or unblocked card from the mobile banking app.
- in-App Bill register and payment.
- Money Transfer with BHIM-UPI, IMPS, NEFT, QR Code,
- Investment services like Mutual Fund, IPO, iWISH, etc.
- An in-app purchase of movie ticket, IRCTC rail ticket booking, Flight or Hotel Booking, etc.
- Exclusive mobile banking offer section.
- Log in with Touch ID. You can even accept and confirm UPI Payment with Touch ID. No MPIN is required.
- All-day to day banking services you can avail from iMobile Mobile Banking App.
ICICI Bank has a very good branch network across India. They have also integrated an AI-Powered Chatbot system with its Mobile Banking app for customer-centric queries.
3. SBI Anywhere Personal – Mobile Banking Application Yono Lite
India’s largest Bank and most of us have an account with SBI. Though it is a PSU Bank, the mobile banking application is one of the best in India. The SBI mobile banking app has all the essential features of banking and an excellent user interface. SBI also has several mobile apps running for different banking works, but you can accomplish all the works from this single banking app. SBI now has changed its Banking app name to Yono (You Only Need One) Lite.
SBI has also another mobile banking App named as SBI YONO. As per the latest news, SBI will stop issuing the fresh debit card to increase the usage of the SBI YONO App for the next five years. You can withdraw cash by using YONO App, you don’t need any debit card for that.
To withdraw cash using SBI YONO App, navigate to YONO Pay> YONO Cash> Request YONO Cash> Enter your Desired Amount> Enter 6 Digit Yono PIN> You will get 6 Digit reference Number on your mobile through SMS> Go to any SBI ATM within 30 Minutes> Go to cardless cash withdrwal> Put your Received reference Number> Withdraw Cash.
The Android version of this App is more user ratings than the iOS version and most downloaded Mobile Banking App in India.
- Very good and intuitive UI.
- In-App Bill register and payment service.
- UPI Payment, IMPS or NEFT/RTGS payment option from the APP.
- Add beneficiary for money transfer.
- mPASSBOOK for transaction inquiry.
- In-app investment option.
- Demat account statement and IPO(ASBA) service.
- Cardless Cash Withdrawal with SBI YONO App.
- All the other traditional banking facilities.
SBI Anywhere is an excellent mobile banking app and you never have to go any crowded SBI branch for any Bank related work
4. Axis Mobile
Axis Bank has also the option of creating a zero balance digital bank account called ASAP Account. You can open the ASAP Bank account from home if you have a valid Aadhaar and PAN number. You also can get the Virtual debit card which you can use for an international payment.
Axis Bank has a very good mobile banking app with so many in-app features for all Banking needs. You can also register for Axis Mobile if you have an Axis Bank ASAP account. Don’t forget to note down the Virtual Debit Card details which you will get just after the opening of the Axis Bank ASAP account. You will require the virtual debit card details at the time of registering the Axis Bank Mobile Banking App.
Axis Bank was the first Bank in India started the concept of Touch ID login and Transaction in its mobile Banking App.
Axis Bank has also one mobile Banking App named Axis OK which you can use in Offline Mode, which means you do not need an internet connection to use this App.
- Mobile banking registration is a bit complicated but the app navigation is super intuitive.
- Excellent offer section across various merchant sites India.
- Separate Credit Card section.
- Touch ID or mPIN login and Transaction.
- In-App Bill registration & payment.
- UPI, IMPS, NEFT, QR code payment from the App.
- Demat and investment section.
- All the Banking facilities as provided by the other Mobile banking apps as stated above.
Overall Axis Mobile is a very good Mobile banking app and the bank has also very good branch network across India. Though, their customer care service is not as good as other Private Banks in India.
5. M- Connect Plus from Bank of Baroda
Bank of Baroda’s mobile banking app is the fifth in this list. Though it’s a PSU bank, they have one of the best and feature riched mobile Banking app in India and can be compared with the best Private Bank’s mobile banking app. You can self-register for the BOB M-Connect app for Android devices.
- Very good interface and user-friendly navigation.
- Bill Payment from the App.
- Execute Service requests like ATM card, PIN generation, Cheque book, transfer of branch, etc from the App.
- Integrates payment services like UPI, IMPS, NEFT, QR code payment, etc.
- In-App investment services like other mobile banking APP in India.
- All the other essential banking features need for day to banking.
All the Indian Private and PSU Banks have their own Mobile Banking App and we have compiled only the best mobile banking app in India for the most popular Banks. You can find that we have not included HDFC Bank’s Mobile Banking app in this list, though HDFC Bank is the second-largest bank in India. HDFC Bank mobile banking app has all the essential features, still, it lacks customer satisfaction and many negative reviews for this App. The average ratings of HDFC Bank’s mobile banking App are also very poor both in Android and iOS App Store. The navigation of this app is not very intuitive and it has so many bugs to improve.
We hope that this article may help you to select the right mobile Banking application for your smartphone. If you want to add more mobile banking application in this list, then please share your comment below. We also request you to like our Facebook Official Page and share the post with your friends.
Meanwhile, You may also like to read…